What was found?
At schools where livestock odor could be smelled inside at least twice a month, twenty-three percent more students reported wheezing compared to students at schools with no odor. Wheezing was 4% more common at schools within 3 miles of at least one hog facility than at schools farther from the facilities.
At schools near hog facilities:
- 7% more students reported that a doctor told them they had asthma
- 7% more students used asthma medication
- 6% more students visited doctors or emergency rooms or were hospitalized for asthma
In general, these effects were greater for students with allergies than students without allergies.